Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger's distribution centers and branches worldwide.
Primary Function: The Human Resources Generalist is a key partner to an assigned functional area or shift. This role consists of both strategic planning and 'hands-on' management of human resources policies and programs within the team member population. Primary functions of this position include reporting, team member engagement and communications, team member and leadership coaching and development, training, and assisting in developing policies and programs that support and foster a safe, engaging, inclusive and positive workplace.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Facilitates critical organizational initiatives as well as implements process improvements within Human Resources and across the Contact Center and Janesville location
- Handles all new hire orientation and on-boarding to meet or exceed staffing and turnover goals with high volume of quality candidates.
- Works with Human Resources Manager to implement and manage Human Resources policies, procedures, and programs, which support the overall business strategy inclusive of compensation, leave of absence and attendance management, performance management (mid-year, year-end and discipline), coaching and development and team member engagement. Train and educate business partners on these policies, programs and procedures.
- Oversees team member development and succession planning processes with PM / Supervisors to ensure 'ready now' candidates for key leadership roles.
- Ensures compliance with Federal and State legislation related to all human resources matters.
- Presents to all levels of leadership and team members within their assigned group related to human resource matters, and updates. This includes, but is not limited to Business Conduct Guidelines, Performance Management, Team Member Engagement, Open Enrollment and facilitation of team member round tables as necessary.
- Fosters strong relationships with internal HR COE partners and external vendors to administer effective employee programs.
- Assists in the implementation and administration of a robust communications plan, including leading the coordination of bulletin board updates and team member events as required.
- Spends regular time on floor to build effective relationships with team members and leaders in support of business strategy and results.
- May lead network-wide projects for HR team as needed.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, related field or equivalent experience (3-5 years) required.
- Working knowledge of Human Resource disciplines, with expert knowledge and work experience in staffing, new hire orientation and on-boarding.
- Demonstrated experience in providing proactive solutions to human resource issues.
- Exercises good judgment in dealing with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to analyze and diagnose problems, develop alternative solutions, and recommend and implement an effective course of action.
- Ability to influence and build relationships at all levels both within and outside the Contact Center organization.
- Communicates effectively in one-on-one and small group settings, and fosters an open, honest and trusting environment.
- Ability to manage time and prioritize work.
- Proficiency in HRIS, Excel, Word, Publisher and PowerPoint.
- Effective verbal, written, presentation and interpersonal skills.
This position reports directly to the Human Resources Manager and has regular interaction with other Managers, Supervisors and team members, as well as other Grainger personnel, customers, and external partners.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.