Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger's distribution centers and branches worldwide.
Translate the business strategy into Human Resources strategy and tactical plans. Facilitate process changes that align with the business direction of multiple functional leaders . Apply policies and programs for salary administration, staffing, employee development, employee relations, legal compliance and benefits.
Principal Duties & Responsibilites
- Translate business needs into Human resources plans and programs.
- Partner with key leaders and stakeholders to set up processes that enable the matrix organization to function as smoothly as it can.
- Strong floor presence with the ability to understand the pulse of employee morale
- Identify, assess, and prioritize human resource needs in designated areas of the company. Involve human resource 'centers of excellence' (i.e. Compensation, LTOE, Talent Acquisition, Benefits) to meet business partner needs.
- Lead local management in creating a culture with Positive Employee Relations, audits and leverage a variety of tools to get a feel for the employee's perceptions on the company, managers, and culture of the workplace.
- Educate managers and employees on the application of the overall Talent Management Process including performance management process and provisions. Implement performance management tools within specific areas of the company. Coach managers and employees to fully utilize performance feedback and coaching to drive improved results.
- Facilitate the development of organization structure and job design based upon work processes. Continuously review the organization structure to ensure it is meeting the dynamic needs of the business. Assist compensation in job analysis and provide support to the job evaluation process.
- Communicate and educate managers and employees on salary administration and ensure that it is being calibrated across the function that they support. Advise managers on actions where there may be discrepancies or special concern.
- Create workforce plans to meet shifts in business volumes, work with local management to determine the mix of employees; includes mix of part time and full time employees. Create strategies for talent acquisitions (TA). Build strong relationships with TA to ensure a strong talent pipeline for exempt candidates. Responsible for all non-exempt recruiting and relationships with outside temporary labor providers.
- Educate and influence managers on affirmative action and diversity within the work place. Identify and develop action plans for areas of concern. Responsible for ensuring we are performing outreach efforts in underestimated demographics and are compliant with OFCCP regulations.
- Facilitate the resolution of conflict within the work place between employees and managers.
- Anticipate and assess legal exposures, potential legal actions such as harassment, discrimination, wrongful discharge, unfair treatment, Workers' Compensation, accommodation (disability).
- Ensure proper application of employment laws and regulations to specific work situations.
- Highlight the importance of communication and assist managers by developing methods to share information with employees on business issues.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree required. Focus in Business Management, Human Resources Management, or Industrial/Organization Psychology, which encompasses a working knowledge of finance, marketing, management, human relations, and organizational dynamics a plus. A minimum of 5-7 years progressive Human Resource management experience which encompasses selection and placement, compensation and benefits, employee and labor relations, training and development, and management theory and practice.
- Experience on supporting different levels of employees in a Call Center environment.
- Prior experience on interacting with multiple Center of Excellence.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications. Is technically proficient and has knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn SAP HR or other HRIS systems.
- High level of interpersonal skills where the individual can diffuse high-tension situations. Strong influencing and facilitation skills, which surface differing viewpoints and result in the best course of actions. Understands organization dynamics and can navigate appropriate channels to get results. Analytical ability and business judgment by which cause and effect are understood, situations are accurately assessed and actions anticipated. Effectively prioritizes and manages projects.
- Exercise good judgment in dealing with highly sensitive and confidential information
- The decisions and actions of the HR Manager affect the productivity of business partner areas. Ineffective organizational structure, job design, and employee communication all negatively impact employee productivity and job satisfaction. Poor management practices also affect employee outlook and effectiveness. The HR Manager plays a key role in influencing and improving these practices
- The HR Manager is instrumental in promoting and affecting union avoidance in company facilities. Lawsuit avoidance and the ability to successfully defend legal actions are based upon actions and decisions of the HR Manager
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.