Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger's distribution centers and branches worldwide.
Project Manager (PM) is responsible for establishing and leading wide, cross-functional strategic initiatives. PM's lead a variety of different types of projects including launching new products and services, large-scale application development, systems integration, BPO arrangements, operational efficiency improvements, process reengineering and infrastructure upgrades and deployments.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Single accountable party for defining, planning, orchestrating and delivering one or more projects, programs or strategic initiatives. Accountable for one or more initiatives that encompass business, IT and operational deliverables.
- Ensures end results are of the highest caliber with a clearly articulated scope and clarity on the desired qualitative and/or quantifiable business benefit or outcomes.
- Directs large-scale, complex projects often involving multiple internal and external constituents and matrix partners.
- Structures the project/program/initiative in such a way that clear accountabilities are established and ultimately the PM bears accountability for delivery and satisfaction of the key stakeholders.
- Effective team builder who promotes team effectiveness by utilizing each person's unique talent and skills, motivates performance, fosters communication and mitigates problems. In the interest of effective team operations, may recommend and take actions to alter team composition.
- Directly manages the application of a standard project life cycle methodology and ensures plans and actions executed by assembled business and IT teams are coordinated and delivered in accordance with that methodology.
- Rigorously manages scope to ensure commitments are achieved and expected outcomes enabled within agreed upon time, cost and quality parameters. Takes the initiative to make and/or propose adjustments in project/program aspects and makes recommendations to leadership.
- Responsible for the financial planning and management of the project/program/initiative. Validates financial forecasts and provides on-going reconciliation of resources and other related project expenditures.
- Directs the development of deployment strategy and plan that encompasses project communications, training and change management plans and personally assures that appropriate contacts and relationships are developed and maintained.
- Chairs weekly Core Team and monthly Operating Committee meetings to review progress with key constituents as well as provides regular status reporting to all stakeholders.
- Ensures that project milestones are identified and tracked to proactively identify and resolve issues and mitigate risks that may threaten project/program/initiative delivery.
- Ensures that key project/program/initiative deliverables are appropriately managed that support successful project delivery using project management best practices, methods and tools. The resulting evidence of this may include the following artifacts: project charter, integrated project plan, resource plan, risk management/contingency plans as well as a deployment plan that factors adoption to change.
- Represents the initiative in various project governance and inter-departmental forums
- Bachelor Degree and 3+ years in relevant work experience. Experienced in Project Leadership & Management.
- Demonstrated, applied expertise organizing and delivering complex projects.
- Proven leadership ability that manifests itself in quickly earning sponsorship and key stakeholder trust; mobilizing and motivating teams; setting direction and approach; resolving conflict; delivering tough messages; executing with limited information and ambiguity.
- Proven relationship management and negotiation skills that enable effective navigation in a highly matrixed organization and incorporates and fosters appropriate customer focus.
- Demonstrated strong sense of urgency with laser-like focus and command of issues and risks. Track record of proactively anticipating problems, avoiding them and/or leading effective barrier removal efforts to maintain team focus on delivery.
- Exemplary core project management knowledge and skills and expertise in the use of various project development life cycle methods and tools, such as Agile/Scrum and Waterfall.
- Accomplished in and fosters the use of Continuous Improvement (CI) methods and tools.
- Big picture thinker with an entrepreneurial bent who combines those qualities with a proven track record of results orientation.
- Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including delivery of effective presentations.
'Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.'